New Student Orientation/Welcome Weekend/First-Year Experience
New Student Orientation (NSO)
Congratulations on your admission to Penn State Hazleton! We are looking forward to working with you this summer during New Student Orientation (NSO), Welcome Weekend and the First-year Experience to help you become acquainted with students, faculty, staff and, campus resources to assist in your transition to the PSU Hazleton community!
New Student Orientation (NSO) assists first-year students with their transition to Penn State by introducing them to the academic culture and campus resources. This program is the first stage of academic advising, and provides students with an understanding of their scholastic preparation, academic ability, and educational and professional interests, and introduces them to the academic structure and degree programs of the University.
The NSO program will provide you with the opportunity to learn about your placement test results, meet with an academic advisor to review your educational plans, and to register in advance for fall semester classes. In addition, you will receive your Penn State computer access account and will participate in programs designed to expose you to the college experience at Penn State.
In early May, you will be mailed a welcome letter detailing the PSU Hazleton New Student Orientation program. If you do not receive your letter with the instructions for scheduling your NSO by May 17, 2013, please call 570-450-3194.
To prepare for NSO, please complete the following steps:
- Complete the Educational Planning Survey (EPS) at http://orientation.psu.edu/survey
- Complete Online Placement Tests in Math and Chemistry at http://orientation.psu.edu/testing
- Select your orientation date - Register Now for New Student Orientation (NSO)
- Complete Online Pre-Work to acquaint you with PSU and its structure and academic requirements http://orientation.psu.edu/up/homework
- To review the Understanding a Penn State Degree and Course Registration Overview modules
- To complete the Exploring Your Academic Choices homework assignment
- Please visit the Advising Center website at http://www.hn.psu.edu/Academics/Advising/advising.htm or contact us at 570-450-3194.
Penn State Hazleton will host its annual Welcome Weekend events beginning Saturday, August 24, 2013 for all first-year students. Welcome Weekend convenes the opening or our campus and includes events that allow for students to explore academic and co-curricular opportunities. Student involvement in these activities is critical in helping students get off to a good start while acclimating to the Hazleton campus. In addition to the activities offered during welcome weekend, students will also have the chance to meet many of Penn State Hazleton's faculty and staff.
Welcome Weekend Highlights!
Welcome Weekend & First-Year Student Move-In
Saturday & Sunday, August 24 - 25
Saturday, August 24, 2013
- Move-in at 8:00 a. m.
- Convocation & Ice Cream with the Chancellor at 4:30 p. m.
- Penn State Hazleton "Opening Night!" at 8:30 p. m.
- Parents Information Session
- FYE Pride Group extended session - Meet your First-Year Seminar Instructor
- IT Hands on session (eLion, Angel, etc.) - Interactive workshop learning to navigate
Sunday, August 25, 2013
- Welcome Weekend Concurrent Sessions at 10:00 a. m.
- FYE: DUI, You Cannot Afford It at 1:45 p. m.
- Community Service Project at 3:00 p. m.
- Block Party at 7:00 p. m.
- Varsity Sports Meeting
- Student Life Smart Start
First-Year Experience (FYE)
First-Year Experience, which typically occurs in the first semester, is a class which students take to learn more about Penn State, as well as themselves. It is designed to help students transition to the collegiate environment. Most students are scheduled into First Year Experience classes in their first semester.
Information on First-Year Experience is available from:
Jane Waitkus, Director of the Learning Center
- Advising Information